Monday, October 1, 2012

Looking for spice...in homemade snickers bars

Hi, my name is Ronit and I'm a chocoholic. Ok, that's not entirely true, I was just trying to impress some friends this weekend. I threw a bit of a Dexter premiere party, and my guests cleaaaarly needed dessert. Even if they didn't need it, they were going to get it. 



If you're on a diet, like my roommate is, I suggest you close your eyes, ears and mouth immediately. Or continue reading. This is seriously one of the easiest desserts to make. Like had a few drinks easy. The ingredients may sound intimidating, but they're not at all. Trust me. Would I lie to you?

For the snickers bars:

bottom chocolate layer

1 1/4 cups milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup peanut butter

Melt ingredients in a saucepan or microwave, grease a 9x13 baking pan and then pour into dish and spread evenly. Once you'd spread the chocolate evenly throughout the dish, put it in the fridge to allow it to cool. 

nougat layer

1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar (confectioners sugar)
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1 1/2 cup marshmallow fluff
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 1/2 cups salted peanuts, roughly chopped
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add milk and sugar and mix consistently until dissolved and smooth. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook for about five minutes. Add in fluff, peanut butter and vanilla and stir until smooth. Remove the saucepan from heat and fold in peanuts. Pour over chocolate layer and then place back in the fridge to cool. 



caramel layer

1 14-ounce bag of caramels
1/4 cup whipping cream

Melt ingredients in a saucepan/microwave and once melted and smooth, pour over nougat layer. Place in fridge and allow to cool.



top chocolate layer

1 1/4 cups milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup peanut butter

Melt ingredients in a saucepan or microwave, then pour over caramel layer and place in fridge to cool. 



For best results, refrigerate them for about an hour before serving. They can stay at room temperature, but they will get gooey. And melty. And yummy. Aaaaand you will want to eat the entire pan. Don't do it. Seriously. Don't.

The bars are really, really sweet so I recommend you cut them into bite-sized squares. 

Like I said, I made these for my Dexter premiere party and they were a hit! What wasn't a hit was my DVR deciding to stop recording the episode about 5 minutes before it was over. Yes, that's right there is my luck - because EVERYONE knows the last five minutes are always the best. Needless to say, my guests were none too thrilled with me. Oops. So, I had to keep them busy - at which point, I decided to have my friends unwrap all of the caramel squares and see who could unwrap the most, the fastest. 

Yes, all they need are games and beer to entertain them.


P.S they said the snickers bars were worth the wait (and the horrible DVR fail.)

Until my next adventure...

xx,
Ronit








No comments:

Post a Comment