Thursday, September 27, 2012

looking for spice...in brown sugar cupcakes with brown sugar peanut butter icing

Sooo, I know this blog was made (with love) for the sole purpose of (a) entertaining me, (b) entertaining you, and (c) learning to cook with different spices and ingredients. HOWEVER, I don't think you'll be complaining when you see these creamy, soft, flavorful, yummmmy brown sugar cupcakes. And I know if I'm looking for spice in these cupcakes, I certainly won't find it. I will, however, find the nearest gym ASAP.



So, let's talk cupcakes. I made these cupcakes on a bit of a whim because I was in the mood for something sweet, but not tooth-ache sweet and these were the ingredients I had on hand. I'm not big on dessert, at least not making my own dessert. I'm more of a buy it and tell everyone you made it but when they realize the crust to your "homemade" pie looks totally store bought...deny, deny, deny. Especially because, well, like I've said before - I'm a mess in the kitchen. And flour/confectioners sugar? Ends up ALL over me - I'm talking head to toe. WITH THAT BEING SAID I'm glad I made these because they were the bomb (dotblogspotdotcom.) 

For the cupcakes (12 of them):

1 Cup loosely packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 Tbs. vanilla extract
3/4 Cup milk
1/2 Cup unsalted butter, melted & cooled
1 1/2 Cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 Tsp. baking soda
1/4 Tsp. salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and in the meantime combine flour, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Set aside, and line cupcake tin with cupcake liners. 

In a large bowl, whisk brown sugar and egg until smooth. 


Add in vanilla extract and milk and whisk until once again smooth. Slowly whisk in the melted butter. Make sure the butter is cooled, as hot butter will cause the batter to thicken quickly and become difficult to work with. Add in the flour, baking soda and salt and mix with a spoon until smooth.


Using a 1/4 Cup measure, add batter to the liners. 


Bake for 16-19 minutes, until tops looks puffy, brown and delicious.

For the peanut butter brown sugar frosting

6 ounces softened cream cheese
1/2 Cup creamy peanut butter
1 Cup loosely packed brown sugar
1 Cup powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
2 Tbs. milk
2 Tsp. vanilla extract

In a bowl, whisk cream cheese until smooth and then add peanut butter and vanilla extract. Add in brown and powdered sugar gradually, whisking the entire time. Add in milk and continue to whisk. 

You can frost your cupcakes by using a spoon/knife/spreading spatula OR if you want to put on your fancy pants, you can use frosting bags. Since I lost my fancy pants in the recession, I opted to use a ziplock bag. Fill the ziplock bag with frosting and cut one of the corners of the bag to use for piping. Let the frosting begin!


Cute, huh?

The cupcakes came out AMAZING! They were a bit dense, but not too sweet. The first time I made these (ok, so we went through the first batch within minutes) the frosting came out way, way different than the second time around. I clearly have no patience and decided instead of waiting for the cream cheese to soften on its own; I'd just zap it in the microwave for a minute. Bad idea. The frosting turned into a strange, gooey consistency and wasn't at all creamy or pretty. Can I get a fail mary? However, the second time around I was smart enough to let the cream cheese naturally soften and it came out perfect. The frosting is pretty sweet, so it compliments the cupcake nicely. I hope you enjoy them!

Until my next adventure...

xx,
ronit







No comments:

Post a Comment