Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Looking for spice...in roasted Brussels sprouts in a mushroom-cream reduction

There's a weird stigma when it comes to Brussels sprouts. I'm not sure why, because they're seriously delicious. I'd have to agree with the fact that it's not particularly kid friendly, but the same kids that hate broccoli most likely hate Brussels sprouts as well. I stayed away from those kids at recess, they were far too normal for me. 


Growing up, my mom made Brussels sprouts fairly often. It was probably one of the only side dishes she cared to make (I've mentioned before, my mom was no top chef.) She sauteed the Brussels sprouts with olive oil, garlic and bread crumbs, and I really loved it. I recently decided to make a different version of it, something a bit more rich and luxurious. I just called Brussels sprouts rich and luxurious. It makes them sound like a Real Housewives cast member. 

For Brussels sprouts:

5 Cups trimmed, halved Brussels sprouts
5 Tbs. olive oil
4 Tbs. unsalted butter
4 1/2 Cups halved mushrooms (I used baby bella)
1/2 Cup thinly sliced shallots (about 5 or 6 if small)
1/4 Cup dry white wine (chardonnay works best)
1 Cup heavy cream
1 Tsp. Pepper
1 Tsp. Salt

Once you've trimmed and halved your Brussels sprouts, preheat the oven at 450 degrees and place the Brussels sprouts evenly on a baking dish. Drizzle with 3 Tbs. olive oil and season generously with salt. Roast for about 25 minutes until tender, then remove from oven and set aside. 


Heat a skillet on high heat and add 1 Tbs. olive oil and 2 Tbs. butter. Once the butter has melted, add the mushrooms in an even layer and allow to cook until mushrooms are golden brown (about 5-8 minutes.) Season to taste and transfer to a plate temporarily. 


Using the same skillet, set to medium heat and place 1 Tbs. olive oil and 1 Tbs. butter. When the butter has melted, add shallots and cook until tender and golden (about 3 minutes.)


Once the shallots are tender, add wine and continue to cook until liquid is reduced to at least half (about 1 minute.) Return the mushrooms to the pan and add in the Brussels sprouts. Add cream to the skillet and continue to cook until the cream has thickened and evenly coats the Brussels sprouts. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately. 


I didn't take a picture of the end result because, like I said above, serve immediately. You're right, I could have taken a second to take a picture for your viewing pleasure, but I was too busy eating. The dish was really creamy and full of flavor. I paired it with well seasoned chicken, but will try pairing it with a steak in the future. If you're a weird kid, like me, you'll enjoy this dish. I love Brussels sprouts, and the hint of creaminess and wine made this a winner in my book. 

Try it out, weird kid. Let me know how you like it.

Until my next adventure...

xx,
ronit




No comments:

Post a Comment