Monday, November 26, 2012

Looking for spice...in steak tacos with cucumber-avocado salsa

Ladies and gentleman, I attempted a romantic gesture. That's right, I can be romantical.



He'd had a rough day at work, and what better way to feel better than football and red meat? Football is totally lost on me (I just cheer when they cheer.) However, the red meat part was easy for me: steak tacos with cucumber-avocado salsa. He's a foodie and loves lots of flavor and spice, so I knew the steak would have to carry some serious kick...and it did. Combined with the creaminess of the avocado and the crunchiness of the cucumber, I'd say this deserves a "best girlfriend of the...day" trophy.

For the cucumber-avocado salsa:

2 cups English cucumber, seeded & diced
2 firm, ripe avocados, peeled, pitted & diced
1/2 red onion, diced
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup cilantro
3 jalepeno peppers, seeded & finely chopped
salt to taste


Combine all of the above listed ingredients in a mixing bowl and gently combine to mix. Serve within an hour of preparing. 

For the steak tacos:

1-1/4 lb. top sirloin steak
1 Tbs. chili powder
2 Tsp. minced fresh garlic
1/4 Tsp. cinnamon 
1/4 Tsp. salt
pinch of cayenne pepper
12 6-in. diameter corn tortillas
3 cups shredded red cabbage
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro 
1 lime cut into wedges

In a small bowl, stir together chili powder, cinnamon, salt, garlic and cayenne.


Rub the spice mixture into both sides of the steak. And in the meantime, coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and allow to preheat over medium-high heat 


Grill the steak for five minutes per side, turning once, for medium-rare. My boyfriend practically likes his steak still mooing so this was perfect for him. I, however, like my steak medium-well, so my steak took a bit longer than his. Remove from the skillet and let the steak sit for at least five minutes before carving into thin slices.

Moo.


Since I was using a gas stove, I had the luxury of toasting the corn tortillas directly on the fire. If you're using a grill, you can do the same by putting the tortillas on the grill. If you're using an electric stove, just place corn tortillas on a nonstick skillet and allow the tortillas to toast that way. Have the steak prepared by the time you are toasting your tortillas, so that they can be served while hot. Toss some red cabbage on the tortilla, then top with steak and salsa. I plated with a wedge of lime, and some cilantro on top. 

To be honest, I actually ended up liking my boyfriends tacos better than mine. Turns out sirloin is a bit chewy when grilled for too long. Although his were far more rare than I'd prefer, they actually ended up tasting way better and the meat was more delicate. The flavors were phenomenal, and the salsa really cut down the spiciness of the steak. I made a quick side dish by throwing snap peas, a bit of sesame oil, panko bread crumbs and salt into a wok and tossing it around for a few minutes. Quick, healthy, crunchy and delicious!

Until my next adventure...

xx,
ronit







No comments:

Post a Comment